Wednesday 25 March 2009

Further Thoughts on Watchmen

I have now read the graphic novel, and found few differences apart from the cosmetic. The nihilistic heart of the story exists in both media. So I stand by what I wrote before.

Only two things to add to it.

One- a comment I read, posted to the review of the film at Christianity Today, which I thought summed up the proper Christian approach to the film more or less perfectly: "If you do decide to watch it, let it make the cross more necessary for you." Can't really put it better than that.

Two- a worthwhile juxtaposition which occurred to me the other day in this connection:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.- Juvenal
Who watches the watchmen?

Nissi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam.- Psalm 127:1
Unless the Lord watch the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.

No comments: